Labels

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Spreadsheets

While learning to use the Spreadsheets portion of Google Docs, I have to be honest, I had a hard time.  I have never used a spreadsheet app. before.  It was easy to figure out how to add information into the sheet and how to change the color and type of font.   I had a hard time figuring out the math functions and am still a bit confused about this.  The tutorials did not help me very well, they were hard for me to see and follow, since I had never seen a spreadsheet program before.  I did go to undergrad in the "ancient" days as most of my classmates would probably feel to be true!  I have never had to use one in my health field career.  I will keep trying to learn how to use this portion of Google Docs as I see how useful it is in preparing and keeping track of student grades.  It will make things much easier, when I figure it out!

In Chapter 6 of the Graham text on Spreadsheets, it discusses that spreadsheets can be used to help meet the Common Core State Standards, particularly with Math. Using Google Spreadsheets to incorporate math into other subjects, such as history and science can teach a child about decision making and reasoning. It is a way children can share what information they have collected with others and therefore give themselves a voice.    As far as the CCSS for Math, students develop critical thinking.  They are to learn the "processes and proficiencies" of math.  They can show how they use the math they have learned.

Link to spreadsheet I created:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NkLsNA4BVJTVWobPv0WZLPKaxa-I_-sEHsEYzGzLjuw/edit#gid=0

1 comment:

  1. Well, stay with it. Spreadsheets are likely to figure more prominently in your future than they have in the past.

    ReplyDelete